The Spokesman-Review : interns

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Carrie Howell: The war in Iraq

Have you ever read an Iraq story in the paper and not really understood what was happening? To me, I get confused sometimes with a new war story almost everyday. I know I am not the only one, and Sarah (our copy editing intern) decided to do something about it.

She recently suggested doing an overview of the war so readers can understand all the various issues that are involved. She came to me for design and graphics help. We presented an extremely rough sketch to Gary, our managing editor, and he gave us the approval. We were given a full color page that will run on Sunday.

Next came hours of research for Sarah, and I had get my creative juices going to put all this information on a page without scaring the reader. My challenge is to present the detailed information in a visual way so the reader will not be turned off by clumps of text.

Overall, this project has taught me two things. I understand a lot more about the war in Iraq. But more importantly, I learned that just because I am an intern, does not mean my voice won't be heard in the newsroom. We presented this idea and we saw it through until the end.

So, please check out the page on Sunday and give me some feedback. Did it work for you? Does it help?

2 Comments:

  • Could you post a link to the page?

    The blog's a nice idea, by the way, and thanks to Sarah for sending around notice of it. Keep it up.

    By Blogger fev, at 9:20 PM  

  • This was a rather disappointing effort. The page is entitled "The War in Iraq News Page" yet shows four Iraqis under "Instrumental Figures: Four Men Affecting the People of Iraq" . Certainly Bush and Rumsfeld, at a minimum, should be included. In fact, Rumsfeld goes all the way back into the early 1980's as part of the history of US support and involvement over four decades of the career of Sadaam Hussein. Overall, the presentation is lacking in historical context, which is exactly why we are doomed to continue repeating this and other interventionist mistakes around the world.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
How other readers got hereViewer details