The Spokesman-Review : interns

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Somer Breeze: The Big Leagues

Last week I wrote a feature on a Chad Tracy, catcher for the Spokane Indians. His father, Jim, is the manager for the Pittsburgh Pirates, a major league baseball team. I called the Pirates and left a message requesting to talk to Jim and a few hours later the director of public relations calls me to say I have an interview set up for the next day. Just like that I was going to talk to a MLB manager who I see on television, read about in newspapers, but never dreamed about talking to on the phone.
Jim was very humble talking about his son Chad. Jim also has two other sons who play baseball in college. It was nice to learn the life of someone who has been involved with the MLB for 30 years and the struggles his family endured.
I felt the feature turned out to be one of my favorites. It included art of Chad at an Indians game, but also a picture of Jim at a Pittsburgh game.
Talking to people involved in the major leagues really boosts your confidence. I was afraid of sounding like an idiot because I know Jim has dealt with the media for so long, but we had a really nice coversation about him and his son. Even though it's still pretty crazy to think I talked to some one from the pros, he's still just like every body else.

1 Comments:

  • Hey, congratulations on interning in Big Spokane, this is Chris Schwartzenberger. I am here working as the director of marketing for a sports camp company. Good to see a Bethel Brave trying to make it in the Big Time - it is awesome that you are able to talk with people in the major leagues.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
How other readers got hereViewer details