The Spokesman-Review : interns

Friday, August 18, 2006

Parker: When you wish you were a bigger sports fan

Yesterday I received the fun assignment to cover the 85-man Seattle Seahawks team catching a football movie at River Park Square. I literally ran over to the theater in time to be part of the tail end of the team's entourage as it headed up the escalators. Surprised mall patrons stood open-mouthed all around us, jabbering on their cell phones and taking pictures. Heading over to the event, however, I realized that I can't recognize but a few key players from the Seahawks. That indeed proved to be a challenge.

Football players tend to look similar to the untrained eye. And while I'm a big Oregon football fan, I haven't followed the Seahawks closely. Thus I had to ask players for their names, positions and numbers. I wasn't able to find any big-name stars for the article (This worked out because sports interviewed Matt Hasselbeck for its version of the story).

After the event, photographer Dan Pelle told me he had a similar experience at the event. While it was an exciting and unusual assignment, it would have been beneficial to have the knowledge of a sports reporter who knows every player by face and by name.

That's all for now. I'm off to cover a koi show at Riverfront Park.

1 Comments:

  • A trick I learned a long time ago if I don't know a lot about a team or even forget a person's name during an interview (it can happen! say you're trying to speak with 10 little kids all at once) is to just ask them for the spelling of their name to make sure you don't get it wrong.

    Since they're football players, you could have just gotten names and then gone onto the Seahawks Web site to check their numbers and positions.

    but asking them outright takes guts, and is the best way to make sure you get it right - especially if you aren't familiar with them. Good job Parker, you rule, as all Spokesman Interns do (shameless plug to us, haha).

    By Blogger Sam, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
How other readers got hereViewer details